Saturday, October 29, 2016

New York Rising interview with Darrell Herbert


Take a look at our exclusive interview with rising star poet, and activist Darrell Herbert, also a resident of Brooklyn, NY.



NYR:  How are you doing today Darrell Herbert?
Darrell Herbert: I am doing well.


NYR: How long have you been here in New York and where are you from originally?
Darrell Herbert: I have been in New York for the majority of my life. I am originally from Washington State.


NYR:  Where are you located?
Darrell Herbert:  Brooklyn.


NYR:  What do you like about New York?
Darrell Herbert: I like the graffiti, music, and culture, among other things. 


NYR:  What are some of your favorite spots to visit here in New York?
Darrell Herbert: My favorite spots to visit in New York are typically parks, museums, or open mic events.


NYR:  Have you performed any of your poetry pieces live here in New York, if so where?
Darrell Herbert: I have performed my poetry in New York. My performances are mostly done at birthday party celebrations for the most part.


NYR:  How would you describe Brooklyn to those who have never been?
Darrell Herbert: Brooklyn is a great place once you get used to it. 


NYR:  What would you say is one of the major differences between New York and Washington State?
Darrell Herbert: One of the major differences between New York and Washington State are the people. 


NYR:  With you being an "Artivist" (Activist / Artist), what are some of the local charities and causes you've been involved in here?
Darrell Herbert: Some of the local charities I have been involved in are The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, End Rape on Campus, and New Beginnings. My humanitarian work includes Making Strides against Breast Cancer Walk, Kidney Walk, Heart & Run Walk, Relay For Life, March for Babies Walk, Walk To End Alzheimer's, The Revolutionary Challenge Summer Project. Causes I have been involved in include missionary services, that have ensured more benefits to children in their economical development, educational opportunities, literacy level comprehension, health care, and/or social justice comprehension. I have also positively contributed to causes that speak with victims of rape and sexual assault.


NYR: What's next on your agenda as a poet / artivist?
Darrell Herbert: On my agenda I just hope to continue being an inspiration for other people through my artistry, as well as my humanitarian work.


______________________________
Advertise with New York Rising!  E-mail us at NewYorkRising@ymail.com for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment